St Joseph's Catholic Church, Dinnington

1 Swinston Hill Road, Dinnington, Sheffield S25 2RX

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > The late (great) Father Brian Green

Siobhan Morley
Site Owner

I thought I'd just like to say a little something about dear Father Green.  I never could get used to calling him 'Father Brian'.  I was a child of 10 when he became our Parish Priest and, as a child, I was taught that you always called your elders by their surname and mustn't address them by their first name (and he was always going to be older than me!).

While in my last year at St Joseph's Primary School, Dinnington, a male, non-Catholic friend (also a pupil at the School) was so impressed by Father Green he said that, if he was ever to convert (from Church of England), it would be to Catholicism because of Father Green's preaching - he made such a positive and inspiring impact on our young lives.

This continued throughout my adult life.  I travelled up from my home in Solihull for 13 years and rarely missed Mass at St Joseph's Church, Dinnington, when I was visiting my family - his homilies, especially, were worth the journey.  I never got the same feeling from Catholic Priests in other Parishes - Father Green was the most genuine 'right man for the job' that I ever met; I wouldn't have had anyone else conduct my Wedding Ceremony and all my wedding guests commented on what a fantastic Priest he was - and they'd only met him for 1 hour!

I'm glad my 3 children had the privilege of knowing him and being baptised by him too.

We shall all miss him terribly but at least he's now where he aspired to be.

REST IN PEACE, IN GOD'S GLORY, FATHER GREEN

--
June 16, 2012 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Denton, Michael J.

That's a very perceptive and gentle tribute and, as usual from SM, beautifully composed andd readable.  It well compliments the other aspect of Fr Brian Green's priesthood career described by Fr Anthony Keefe, recently circulated by Liam.        MJD

December 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Upcoming Events

Friday, Sep 22 at 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Saturday, Sep 23 at 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Sunday, Sep 24 at 9:30 PM - 10:30 PM
Tuesday, Sep 26 at 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM

Recent Blog Entries

No recent entries